Wayne County Municipal Court
If your name is drawn for jury service in the Wayne County Municipal Court the term will last for two months. You may expect to be called one or two times during the term of service. Very rarely does a jury trial in this Court last longer than one day.
The summons will direct you to call 330-287-5662 after 5:00 p.m. the day prior to your appearance.
If you are hearing impaired, please inform the Bailiff when arriving for jury duty. Please make arrangements for lunch in the event you are seated on the jury.
If you need to be excused from duty, the ONLY reasons the Court will consider as valid for an excused absence jury duty are:
- Extended absence from Wayne County (for example, service in the armed forces, attendance at an out-of-area college or university etc.); if this is your situation, please send a letter immediately indicating so.
- Illness requiring the care of a physician on the date you are to appear. A request to be excused from service for this reason will require a medical doctors written excuse.
- Vacation, business trips or any other short term absence from Wayne County will not be considered an excused absence UNLESS THE COURT IS NOTIFIED 2-3 WEEKS IN ADVANCE OF THE DATES YOU WILL BE GONE. You must let us know of any dates you will be on vacation, preferably as soon as possible, but in no event later than 2-3 weeks prior to the date you will be leaving. If you need any accommodation due to a disability, please notify the Court in writing 2-3 weeks in advance of your scheduled service.
ALL REQUESTS FOR ABSENCE FROM JURY DUTY MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING AND APPROVED BY THE TRIAL JUDGE PRIOR TO THE DATE OF SERVICE! Please include your juror number on all such requests. The Court will respond to your request only if it has been denied or if further information is needed.
We hope you approach jury duty with interest, understanding and belief that you will enjoy the experience. We understand that it may require some sacrifice of your time, but it is necessary to allow our democracy and our entire system of justice to exist.
Please inform the Court if you have a change of address during your term of service, so that you will receive payment of jury fees at the end of the term. Please note that you will not be paid until after the end of your two month term.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What number do I call to see if I'm needed for service?
- The automated response number to be called after 5:00 p.m. the day before you are to report for service is 330-287-5662.
- Is there parking?
- Public parking is available in a lot directly across Grant street in front of the Municipal Courthouse. There is a loop in front of the Courthouse for drop off and pickup only.
- What are the hours?
- Court is usually in session from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with a break for lunch between noon and 1:00 p.m. However, the hours depend on what’s occurring in the trial. For example, when the jury starts to deliberate, you may be here into the evening if your deliberations require it.
- How much do I get paid and how do I collect it?
- The pay is $30 per day if you are seated; $10 if you have to report and are excused. You will get a check in the mail after the end of your term. To receive payment, you must check in with the Clerk of Courts office every day you are here.
- Voter registration lists are placed into a computer after the November election and prospective jurors are randomly selected. Your name was on the list for this term.
- How do I get selected?
- Did You Know?
- FAQs About Jury Duty
- Courthouse Security
- Court Rules (pdf)
- Video Arraignments
- Driving Letters
- Weddings at the Court
- Orrville Branch